Apparently Oreo doesn't feel that we keep Eddie quite as clean as he would like. So he decided to take care of the bathing himself:
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Friday, July 23, 2010
NICU tried in both hands and couldn't get it started. By this time Eddie was so tired that he just slept through all the poking and prodding of trying to get an IV in. It probably helped that they had him all swaddled up in a sheet. After those failed attempts they decided to go ahead and try to get one started in his scalp. OUCH! Now, I know that this happens sometimes especially with little babies, but I've never seen one done before. So imagine my surprise when they put a rubber band around his forehead!! I just started cracking up! I know they use rubber bands around the arms and legs to find a vein, but I wondered what they do for the head. Now I know! It was a funny sight to see Eddie just sleeping way while they put a rubber band around his head and tried to start an IV. The skin on your scalp is pretty tough and they had to really jab the IV needle in but it didn't seem to phase Eddie, who just kept sleeping.
Sunday, July 18, 2010
One night after Rob and I had gone upstairs to go to bed, Rob had to come back downstairs to get something for me. This is the sight that greeted him:
Apparently, Joe and Sterling were not asleep like we thought and they had snuck into the TV room and were watching iCarly. We would have been more upset if it hadn't been so cute and even a little funny. We did, however, remind them that this was REALLY not ok. As far as we know, it hasn't happened since.
This is just a picture of Eddie being cute...
And this is a picture of a great big smile from Eddie while he was sleeping.
Mommy and Eddie
What can I say, Kai Kai LOVES her baby brother! She's so big compared to him!
Daddy with Kai Kai in the carrier that she doesn't really fit in too well. Kai has decided that she is a bit of a Daddy's girl now that Mommy has a new baby in the house.
And she figures if that new baby is gonna stick around he'd better share his toys with her... ;-)
ALL of his toys!
And here is Kai doing some heavy reading all about kittens.
Ummm....ouch? Emmy is really flexible. She can even touch her feet to her head.
This is my handsome dark haired son. What a cutie huh?!
Friday, July 16, 2010
A good friend of mine sent me this today and I love it. She found it on someone's blog. It is a rewritten version of the song "I Am a Child of God" for those who have lost a child:
I am a Child of God
A friend of mine in my Mom's ward just sent me this, and I love it and had to share. This woman re-wrote the words to I am a child of god for those of us who have lost a baby.
I am a Child of God and He has called me home.
My journey's through but still, I do not walk alone.
He leads me, guides me, walks beside me, helps me find the way.
He welcomed me with open arms. I live with Him today.
I am a child of God and I have gone ahead.
My earthly life was brief but oh such peace and love you gave.
You loved me, held me, stood beside me and though I cannot stay,
You gave me much to help me and I live with Him today.
I am a child of God and I will wait for you.
Celestial glory shall be ours, if you can but endure.
I'll lead you, guide you, walk beside you,
help you find the way.
I'll welcome you with open arms
One bright Celestial day.
WE LOVE AND MISS YOU ROBERT ALLEN!
HAPPY 4TH BIRTHDAY!
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
I love my baby brother!
Kai teaching Edison to draw
~Look at my muscles~
Watching the plumbers fix the bathroom
Eddie smiling in his sleep :-)
Eddie with his favorite Aunt Susie ;-)
"Watching" TV with Daddy
Kai cuddling with HER baby!
Sunday, July 4, 2010
For those who've ever wondered how or why Rob and I choose the names we do, I thought I'd do a run through of why we choose the names that we have for our kiddos.
- Oliver Sterling: Many of you may not realize that Sterling actually goes by his middle name, not his first. Originally we wanted to call him Sterling Oliver Bidwell, but we thought the initials S.O.B. could present a problem at some point. We chose Oliver after my Grandpa (my mom's dad). He was one of the greatest and smartest men that I've known and I'd be so proud to have my son grow up to be like him. The name Sterling came from a good friend of ours from church. He is yet another man that we would be proud to have our son emulate.
- Emmy Verona: Interestingly, the name Emmy came about because when we were pregnant with Sterling we didn't know what we were having, so we called him "Emmy the Embryo". Turns out we loved the name Emmy and that was the name we decided to use if Sterling was a girl (which he obviously wasn't) and we kept it for our next pregnancy which did end up being a girl. Verona is my Grandma's (my mom's mom) first name. She was also someone that I would want my daughter to be like.
- Josiah Redeker: The name Josiah come from the Bible. He was a very righteous King talked about in 2 Chronicles 34-36. In 2 King 23:24-25 it says, "And like unto him was there no king before him, that turned to the Lord with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his might, according to all the law of Moses; neither after him arose there any like him." The name Redeker is Rob's mom's maiden name and we loved the name so we chose it for his middle name.
- Coriantum Earle: Coriantum is a king in the Book of Mormon. In Ether 9 it says that Coriantum "did walk in the steps of his father" who was King Emer. And it says that Emer "did execute judgment in righteousness all his days...and he even saw the Son of Righteousness". If Coriantum was like his father then he was abviously very righteous and that is something we would like our children to be. Plus I would love it if our kids followed in the footsteps of their father who is an amazing person and has sooooo many good qualities! Which is why we, or rather I, choose Earle for the middle name since it is Rob's middle name. I would love for Cori to be the kind of person Rob is since there is no better man on earth.
- Robert Allen: Our sweet little baby that we didn't get to keep since he was just too good to remain here on earth. He was stillborn half way through the pregnancy and at that point we didn't know what we were having. We did have our girl name picked out but no boy name. So when we found out that my water had broken and baby wouldn't live past birth, we needed to pick out a boy name also. We tossed names back and forth. I had always wanted to name a child after Rob, so I suggested Robert, after him. Rob was ok with that and since baby wouldn't live, there wouldn't be the confusion of having two Robs. We chose Allen after my dad who had died just 6 weeks after Sterling was born. He was also one of the greatest men I have ever known and I wanted to honor him by naming our son after him. Robert Allen is named after two of the three greatest men I know of (with the third being my Grandpa).
- Kailyn Almina: Kailyn is named after my mom, who is an incredible woman. She has been through so many trials, like losing my dad when she still had 4 out of 7 kids still at home and so many other things that I can't even go into. And through it all she remains faithful and strong. Although her name is KathiLyn, we decided to take out the "th" to avoid any confusion. Almina is my great grandma's name and we both loved it so we used it.
- Edison Allen: The name Edison was just a name that we both liked. Allen is, of course, after my dad and Edison's big brother, Robert Allen. We wanted to have a living namesake for my father and Robert Allen. We want Edison to always remember that he bears the name of his brother and grandpa. We hope that he may become the kind of man my father was and remember that whatever he does with his name, he does with their names also. He represents two angels here on earth.